Monday, August 17, 2009

HUM014 speech by Jethro Bodoso


Jethro James I. Bodoso (HUM014-A15)


To our highly respected administrators, esteemed faculty members, especially to our professor in Philippine literature in English, Prof. Joahna Eduarte, the one responsible for this simple yet very inspiring event, fellow schoolmates, guests and friends – a lovely afternoon to all.


I’m Jethro Bodoso of Humanities014 section A15 and I’m here in front of you to deliver a short glimpse on poetry.


Poetry

What is Poetry? “The best words in their best order” as defined by one of the legendary poets, Samuel Coleridge. Is it really true? Before I made my speech for today, someone asked me, “Are you starting to appreciate poetry?” A big question mark was left in my mind; I asked myself “do I really have the rights to talk here in front of you?” Before, I don’t really love Poems, for me “they’re just a bunch of words”. When I heard lines of words that are flowery, highfaluting and too emotive, I felt it’s so boring or corny, as most of the teenagers say. However, when I have my Humanities014 – Philippine Literature in English, I was really enlightened by the teachings of our professor.


The great poet, William Wordsworth, defines Poetry as “spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings: it takes its origin from emotion recollected in tranquility”. Poetry is really a written feeling of a Poet, it is full of emotion, that’s why we feel different every time we had read a Poem, and this feeling depends on the mood and tone of the Persona, the speaker in the Poem. Poetry also makes use of symbols that we can convert it to images in our minds, that is to make Poems more real, and more felt. Cirilo Bautista said, Poetry remains to be cheap, but priceless means of humanizing human beings, of making them aware of the truths and values necessary to fulfill their potentials”. After I heard that definition, I started to wonder about my current view in Poetry. I’m taking up Mechanical Engineering; I’m confused why do we need to have literature subjects? Now I know, it’s because “Literature humanizes” and just like what Bautista said it makes us aware of the truths and values necessary to fulfill our potentials. While for me, most of our subjects are so difficult, very stressful and gives us a headache all the time; however Poetry is there for us to have bright days and to give us time to relax our minds and rest for a while from our hectic schedules.


So asking me the same question earlier, right now, “Are you starting to appreciate Poetry?” I will answer, YES I do, and I now appreciate Poetry. Poetry requires rhyme, the matching of final sounds in two or more words; it is used to add a musical sound to our poems. So Poetry is not just a bunch of words, before you make a poem you need to consider lots of things. Bautista further discussed that good poem has rich of multiplicity of meanings, BUT must not contradict each other; it must sustain, strengthen and support each other.


I’m now recommending Poetry to everyone, Poetry is very cheap yet priceless, anyone can afford Poetry, and everyone is welcome to make Poems and put your feelings into a written output. I just want to react on what is happening in the reality, when we watch news, we saw that they are arguing about the “National Artists Award”, lots of critics said that those who received the award are not worthy, while the awardees contradict what they say. Do you see how they fight for their dignity and their talent, because they had given their 100% self in this area, so let us support all of them and try to put ourselves in their position. Once again, a pleasant afternoon and GOD bless us all.


Tanaga

Most of you might be confused by now, what is Tanaga??? Prof. Eduarte introduce us this kind of poetry, it is like a Philippine version of haiku. Tanaga is a type of short Filipino poem, consisting of four lines with seven syllables each with the same rhyme at the end of each line --- that is to say a 7-7-7-7 Syllabic verse, with an AAAA rhyme scheme. 7-7-7-7 syllabic verse means that each line should have only 7 syllables while AAAA rhyme scheme means that each last word of lines have rhymes, all of them should be identical in sound (aural rhyme) or in structure (visual rhyme). Traditional Tanagas don’t have titles, it should speak for themselves, most are handed down by oral history, and contain proverbial forms, moral lessons, and snippets of a code of ethics. Poets test their skills at rhyme, meter, or rhythmic structure of verse, and metaphor through the tanaga, not only because is it rhymed and measured, but also it exacts skillful use of words to create a puzzle that demands some kind of an answer. It is almost considered a dying art form, but is currently being revived by the Cultural Center of the Philippines and National Commission of the Arts. Poetry groups, like the PinoyPoets, have been promoting Filipino poetry in English; the vernacular is also advocating the spread of this art form.

Modern Tanagas still uses the 7777 syllable count, but rhymes range from dual rhyme forms. Modern Tanagas have an option to have titles. Because Tanagas are very hard to decipher, it’s too short and sometimes uses lots of symbols, so for us to have a clue on what that particular Tanaga is all about, we can have a title for it.

1 comment:

  1. Hello...
    about the:
    Lament for The Littlest fellow

    I'm having problem interpreting the poem before...
    well now i have read your skit.. thanks for the idea..

    Our professor told me will be kicked out of the majorship if we cant interpret the poem.
    Thnx a lot!

    ReplyDelete